Monday, February 25, 2008

Happy 80th Oscar

"I'd like to thank my Mother, for giving me the determination to succeed, my husband for making my dreams possible and my children for making them come true."

I felt so joyous watching the Oscars tonight. Seeing people be so happy and hearing them thank all their amazing, supportive influences is truly inspiring. Someone once said to me that actors deserve no more respect than anyone else - why should they be put on a pedestal above us regular folks. I disagree with this statement for one reason only. Actors have the amazing ability to bring our imaginations to life. When watching films one is transported to a dream world that can make us feel laugh out loud happy or sob in our seats sad. And who didn't feel empowered watching my fellow Scot Gerard Butler in 300? Maybe it's just there are some people in this life who don't give themselves permission to believe. Watching James McAvoy in the front row tonight gave me hope that my little brother will make it there too one day. That anything is possible. Films have brought me such joy at times when I felt very low, and made me feel humble and thankful. I remember coming out of the Matrix and kick boxing my way down the street with my friends. At that moment we felt like life was for living. Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, John Wayne, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman - these men are legends - pure and simple. On screen they take you away from whatever strife life is throwing at you and suddenly your hanging off their every word, living the dream. Your heart pounds, you're on the edge of your seat, you jump at the scary bits, you laugh hysterically at the funny bits. For bringing this kind of joy and humility actors deserve every bit of praise they get. On a slightly worrying note the wonderful Dario Marianelli won an Oscar for Best Score for Atonement (which McAvoy starred in - go James!!).... while this is good news for Dario, after all he is one of the best in his business - it is slightly odd for me. Last time I gave birth my charts were mixed up with someone with the surname Marianelli - thus meaning my newborn was thrust into the "may have a horrible disease" category! I'm hoping this isn't a sign from the Gods that a similar fate awaits me this time!

No comments: