Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Never a truer word spoken...

I read an interview Irish actor Colin Farrell did and found it extremely close to my heart. Farrells son has Angelman Syndrome, a neuro-genetic disorder that affects ones fine motor skills. His son walked for the first time last year, aged 4. It also affects speech. Of his son Farrell says he is happier than so many people in the world. "I look around and I see people who move perfectly, who walk with grace, who speak with great diction and clarity and a great use of the English language and we're all miserable fuckers – including me, at times. And then I see this fella who doesn't move the way what's perceived to be 'normal' is, and he's as happy as can be." My son was a late talker and often was hard to understand. Our doctor suggested early intervention at age 2. Luckily I had my husband to keep me grounded who said he is what he is and is as happy as can be and it will come. We used to watch other kids, run around speaking perfectly but being absolutely horrible to others and all that spouted from their mouths was hate. My son speaks fairly well now and is still the happiest little boy I know. And I will take that over what is perceived to be normal any day.

No comments: