Thursday, February 7, 2008

Spring has sprung

Well at least it has in the UK, my crocuses are barely visible. In England daffodils have been spotted as early as December and snowdrops are over already. Ducklings and tiny chicks have hatched, and tortoises are out of hibernation. Although cheering, this is not necessarily good news. There are fears that a return of the cold weather will have harsh results for wildlife and flora. Speaking of good and bad. This picture reminds me of the year I had a box of 50 chicks in my bedroom as it was too chilly for them to be in the hen house. I was around 7 years old at the time. I remember picking one special one that would be mine, he had a little brown patch of fluff so I thought he was unique. He died twice. My Mum had to do mouth to mouth in a desperate bid to save my little chicken. I think in the end the foxes got him, as well as the one duck I picked out as my own. I think I stuck to horses after that!

No comments: